11 July 2008

Millet: Not Just for the Birds

In the spirit of Missionary adaptability, I've been trying to incorporate millet into my life. Millet is the primary staple of the Nigerien diet, and so I'm learning to "acquire a taste for it." Actually, it's not that bad . . . with enough butter and salt.

I needed to make a dessert from Niger, and found instead, a cookie recipe that uses millet. And since no one present at the gather had ever been to Niger, none was the wiser. The cookies turned out GREAT and tasted a lot like granola (and who doesn't like granola!?!?!). Everyone enjoyed them, even the picky kids, so I thought I would post the recipe for you. I found it a pccuisine.blogspot.com after doing a google search for "baking with millet." They are very easy to make . . . enjoy!!

Toast 12 min. at 350°:
  • 1 ⅔ c. Oatmeal
  • 1 c. Millet
  • ½ c. sunflower seeds
  • 2 c. chopped walnuts


Beat in a mixer until light:

  • 1 ½ c. brown sugar
  • 1 c. butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 eggs

Add the following dry ingredients to a big bowl and mix:

  • 3 c. oatmeal, ground into flour in food processor or blender
  • ½ c. raisins
  • ½ tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt

Add remaining ingredients to the big bowl also, mixing again:

  • Toasted ingredients, cooled off
  • Creamed ingredients
  • Optional: 1 c. chocolate chips in place of raisins

Scoop 1oz.-size scoops onto lightly-oiled cookie sheets, 12 per sheet, flattening before baking at 350° for 12-15 min. Loosen from sheet while still warm, as they tend to stick otherwise.

1 comment:

Andria said...

These look very yummy. I will express my ignorance and ask... where can I buy millet??? I might try dried cranberries instead of raisins, although in my house, chocolate rules. Thanks for sharing!